Before Dublin Fire Brigade was formally established, municipal brigades in Dublin were not required to attend to fires outside of their boundaries. Churches were required to have their own fire fighting equipment and some of the larger businesses of 19th century Dublin did have their own, such as Powers distillery and the Guinness brewery. With the expansion of Dublin and industry itself fires were common and to address the suburban issue a statute entitled “The Dublin Corporation Fire Brigade Act” of 1862(24&25 Vict.) was introduced. Below is a summary of the first case in which the statute was used in court, disputing the amount of money due for attending to a fire . It involved James Robert Ingram, the first superintendent of the Dublin Fire Brigade, and without precedent the policy in other cities was cited as a means of ascertaining the amount of insurance payment due.
For more on Ingram see this post by the excellent http://comeheretome.com/
The remarkable and forgotten Captain James Robert Ingram
Also worth looking out for in relation to the Dublin Fire Brigade are talks by the brilliant Las Fallon, who has also published this in the series of Kilmainham Tales:
Just came across this interesting photo of a menu from the North Western Hotel, North Wall Dublin. Included are glimpses into the fine interior and what would have been a very busy terminus in the late 19th century into early 20th century. For your 3 shillings and 6pence you were treated to such delights ranging from Consomme Julienne, Cream Bavaroise and apricots, to pigeon, lamb and sole. Considering it was 1907, I can imagine a recreation of that menu happening in a Dublin eatery of today? I wonder! A fascinating snippet of fine dining of old Dublin.
Pic courtesy of NYPL and for more information on the building history visit here:
Quick post about the entrance to Chadwick’s builders providers on Thomas Street. The distinctive archway has been there since the late 19th century and would be known colloquially as Kelly’s timber yard. Before that it was the Dublin city saw mills. Joseph Kelly’s business was prosperous and he owned various plots of land in Dublin. One he sold to businessmen who had returned from America and after buying the land they built what is now “Washington Street” off the South Circular Rd. The premises covers a much older side of Dublin too as it was the site of an old Norman graveyard and it is believed that Ailred the Great/Ailred the Palmer is buried there. Ailred, of viking/ostman decent, built the first hospital of Dublin on the site of John’s Lane church after a visit to the Holy Land inspired him to build a priory and charitable institution. He brought back a palm frond from his trip so was then known as Ailred the Palmer! So next time you’re passing on Thomas St. think of all the hidden histories that are dotted about the hugely historic area.
On February 25th in 1852 “The Bard of Erin” Thomas Moore died. He is greatly under-appreciated for his songs, poetry, biographical works and contribution to the history of Ireland. His birthplace at 12 Aungier St would be known to many as J.J. Smyths the bar and jazz venue. It was redeveloped some years ago although it still notes at the front that it was the place of his birth.
He attended the famous Samuel Whyte school on Grafton Street and although Catholic, was allowed to attend Trinity College subsequent to the catholic relief act in 1793, and in college became good friends with Robert Emmet. After studying at Trinity he went on to London and later took up a post he was offered in Bermuda. During his time there the people considered him their laureate, as his talent began to show. In the early years of the 19th century with support he set about collating and publishing the Irish Melodies, which would become his most popular works, released in several volumes over numerous years. When you consider the equivalent in Scotland of Moore would be Robert Burns, the relative praise he gets in Ireland is poles apart.
Works such as the poem “The meeting of the waters”(Avoca, Wicklow) are well knownand “The Last Rose of Summer” has been and is still covered by many artists. His statue in Dublin, although in a busy area on Westmoreland St. is not in an ideal place and in front of what used to be public toilets. Luas works mean a temporary removal of the statue anyway it was somewhat obscured previously. Which wasn’t the case in earlier pics of the spot:
Some of Moore’s relatives are buried in St. Kevin’s graveyard in Camden Row, Dublin, although he himself settled and passed away in Wiltshire, south west England. When birthdays of past Irish greats come around or anniversaries they are usually prominent in online media but hopefully in the future there may be a revival of interest in Thomas Moore and his legacy.
Footage of the sisters Mary and Anne MacSwiney, on hunger strike in Mountjoy Prison. Mary was one of the founders of Cumann na mBan, and she and her sister Annie set up a school in Cork based on the same teaching principles as the likes of St. Enda’s in Dublin. In the year following her brother Terence’s death, she toured America in support of the Irish cause. Mary went on hunger strike twice and this footage is from November 1922. Annie supported her outside the prison, braving the harsh elements and would not eat until she was sure that her sister had been released. Undoubtedly one of the most influential and important Irish women of the time, as part of the executive of Cumann na mBan and when elected for Sinn Fein.
Scenes during 1920 when a curfew was introduced in Dublin. People could not walk the streets between midnight and five in the morning unless you had a permit. Armoured cars patrolled the roads and streets with searchlights and if without that permit you would be arrested on the spot. Many premises and households were searched and arrests made. Scenes here show Sackville St. as auxilliairies of the R.I.C. drove armoured cars around the crowded streets.
Coverage of the laying of the first stone of the church in Marino dedicated to St. Vincent. The area was developing rapidly with the establishment of new housing estates around Fairview and Marino, and in the following years new schools were built to accommodate the growing parish. Most of the funding for the building of the church came from individual donations and fundraising,. The first stone was blessed and laid by E.J. Byrne on May 2nd 1926. The church was designed by William Byrne & Sons of Suffolk St, and built by Messrs. Maguire and Short. The church was officially opened in October 1928.