Scenes from “The Rose of Persia”, performed at the Gaiety theatre in December 1921 by the long established Rathmines and Rathgar musical society. The two act light opera was the last completed work of Arthur Sullivan(of Gilbert and Sullivan fame) aided by the writing of Basil Hood. The society were performing in aid of cancer research(the city of Dublin skin and cancer hospital in Hume Street) and got favourable reviews from the press, and in 1928 produced the same opera again featuring Nan McGarron, Florence Evans, Joseph O’Neill and others. The R&R musical society was established in 1913 and celebrated its centenary last year. It’s unfortunate clips of this period have no audio(the talkies where a while away at this stage!) but interesting archive footage.