The Liffey swim has been around since 1920, and follows approximately the same route from where the Guinness Wharf was(near Rory O’More bridge) to Butt Bridge. In the early years of the race it was a huge spectacle watched by up to 20,000 people. By the time of this footage, competitors were required to wear numbered caps to identify participants. As one may expect the race was moved in some years due to concerns about pollution levels in the river. For the years of the footage shown the rescue boats were on hand from the Clontarf Yacht and Boat Club and the Dublin sea scouts. The race was sponsored by the Irish Independent and the prize in the 1920’s was a silver cup worth 20 guineas! The races were handicapped with the best swimmers going off last and entries numbered between 50-80 for these years in 1925 and 1926. The winners were presented their prizes in Tara Street Baths. Gerard Higginbotham from Sandycove Swimming Club won in 1925 and Thomas O’Reilly from Clontarf Swimming Club won in 1926.