Not straying too far for the next post. 119-122 Thomas Street is currently a mixed development of mainly apartments and retail units, and most people will know it as a Lidl supermarket. The buildings were redeveloped in the mid 1990’s to their present form. Archaeololgical finds from the site clearance at the time included medieval pottery, a ring brooch and a leather scabbard. Number 119 was said to have been one of the numerous addresses which Lord Edward Fitzgerald used on Thomas Street in hiding before being finally captured at No. 151, which is now the I.A.W.S. building. 119 was formerly the site of the “Yellow Lion Inn” in the 19th century. Meetings were also held there when a new road was proposed to link the south circular road with thomas street but this never materialised. In the 1870’s the buildings were a gardening wholesalers(Messrs. Fay & Co.) before becoming the Blanchardstown Flour Mills, owned by Joseph Delany. Products included flours, wheatmeals and indian meals. The buildings narrowly avoided being destroyed in 1876 when a fire broke out at Messrs. Mercer, Kerr & Co., tea merchants housed at No.115. The fire brigade based at Winetavern Street had to borrow the fire escape from St. Catherine’s church across the road. By the 1920’s and 30’s a popular poultry product had emerged called Karswood Poultry Spice, which included ground insects in its ingredients. An advertisement from the time claimed a Mrs. Briggs “obtained over 4,000 eggs from 40 hens in 6 months”. Also in the 1930’s No. 119 was used as the St. Catherines’ branch of the Catholic Young Men’s Society from which trips to Lourdes were organised. The front facade of the building in the picture above still remains as seen from this recent street view:
The Blanchardstown Flour Mills remained on Thomas St. throughout the 1940’s(workers there received an increase of 11 shillings in 1948 after a Labour Court Recommendation), and 50’s before Boileau & Boyd, wholesale and manufacturing chemists, took over the building in the 1960’s.